Skip Navigation
Saturday, January 22, 2022 RSS Feed
Volgenau School of Engineering
The B.S. in Information Technology degree program is accredited by the Computing Accreditation Commission of ABET,

George Mason University is designated as a National Center of Academic Excellence in Information Assurance/Cyber Defense Research and Education.

Home » Students » Current Students » FAQs


How do I schedule an advising appointment?
Visit For academic advising (signatures on forms, policies, course selection, etc), please schedule an appointment with a full-time academic advisor. For content, career, and concentration advising, please schedule an appointment with a faculty advisor.

I took ENGH 100/101 and ENGH 302… do I still have to take a Literature course?
IT majors are required to take ENGH 100 or ENGH 101, ENGH 302, AND a Literature Mason Core course, unless you have the Mason Core Waiver. Mason Core course options can be found at As of fall 2018, the Literature Mason core is a prerequisite to ENGH 302.

Which English 302 course should I take?
IT majors can take Business, Natural Sciences/Technology, or Multidisciplinary sections of ENGH 302.

I am a transfer student and some of my courses are missing from my transcript, what do I do?
If you are missing any transfer credits from your evaluation, please submit a Transfer Credit Inquiry Form to Transfer Admissions. If you were awarded elective credit for a course and wish to have it re-evaluated as equivalent to a specific Mason course, please complete the Transfer Credit Re-evaluation Appeal Form.

All students are responsible for providing their final transcript to the Office of Admissions. Transfer credit evaluations are considered final upon completion of the first academic year of enrollment. No changes will be made to evaluations after this time.   These and other resources are available at 

I need to take a third attempt of an IT course, what do I do?
Third attempt overrides need to be requested from Dr. Islam, the Associate Chair. Please send him an email at and provide him with the reasons and with which aspects you struggled in the course, as well as what your plans are for success in your third and final attempt. He will review your request and will contact you with your next steps. Third attempts are not permitted in summer sessions.

I believe I have met the prerequisites for a course, but the registration system will not allow me to add the course to my schedule. What do I do?
Submit an override request form for each course at Your request will be checked by an advisor manually and you will be contacted with your next steps. Make sure you type your email address correctly, otherwise you will not receive a response.

I am in an older catalog year, what pre/co-requisites should I follow?
Pre- and co-requisites are tied to the semester a course is taught, not a student’s individual catalog year. Current Pre- and Co-requisites can be found in the University catalog (, in Patriotweb’s Schedule of Classes (, and at

The caveat with this rule is the “B or better” designation for gateway courses:
2015-2016, 2014-2015, 2013-2014, etc… catalog years: You will need an override to register for concentration courses if you earned a C, C+, or B- in the gateway course associated with that concentration.
2016-2017, 2017-2018, 2018-2019, present: You must have a B or better in the gateway course associated with the concentration in order to both take the courses and declare the concentration.

I earned transfer credit for a gateway course (CS 112 and/or CS 211, IT 223, IT 341, IT L341), do I need to take the course at Mason to earn a B or better?
No, the transfer course satisfies the gateway requirement, but you will need to submit an override request form (see link, above) in order to register for the concentration courses, as a grade of T is not coded to be accepted by the registration system.

Why do I have to take so many programming/web development/networking courses, etc.? Can’t I just focus on one aspect of IT?
The BS IT program was built over the years based on how faculty understood the needs of the Information Technology profession. Universities do not teach only the kind of knowledge that is immediately applicable in jobs. Somebody who has a degree in BS IT should know more than a narrow domain. General knowledge of the principles of each aspect of IT is believed to be desirable and necessary in addition to a more focused or concentrated area of expertise. We do not want our graduates to be one-trick-ponies; rather, we want them to be well rounded employees with a variety of skills.


Additional Resources and Policy Information: