Diversity, Equality, and Inclusion
At the Department of Information Science and Technology, our core mission and value is to increase Diversity, Equality, and Inclusion (DEI). We are highly committed to expanding the participation of underrepresented populations in research and lecture; promoting equitable policies within IST and across the School of Computing; motivate inclusive environments for students, staff, and faculty.
The heart of IST's research is connectedness with different thoughts and diverse perspectives. We are a strong believer that, as a premier research institution, we can do better research that can benefit the larger population and create a higher societal impact when every member in IST can encompass and practice the value of DEI in their research.
As an active contributor and member of the College of Engineering and Computing at Mason, we align our future plan with the Inclusive Excellence Plan. Some of the core activity items include (1) an increase in the number of faculty and students from diverse backgrounds, especially those with underrepresented backgrounds, defined in this instance as women, African American/Black, Hispanic/Latino, American Indian/Alaskan Native, and those who identify as differently-abled. In addition to our recruitment aims, we look to retain, educate, graduate and place our students in spaces where they are able to thrive and grow, (2) support the necessary infrastructure to accomplish the work to diversify the College, (3) provide undergraduate/graduate student support through K-12 initiatives and beyond, and (4) motivate faculty development and related research activities.
For more information, please refer to the VSE Inclusive Excellence plan 2021-2024. pdf
We also strictly follow the following policies developed under Mason.
- Non-Discrimination: we provide equal opportunity to our members regardless of their race, color, region, national origin, sex, disability, military status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, marital status, or religion.
- Sexual Harassment and Misconduct: we are responsible for maintaining an integral work environment free from sexual harassment and misconduct. IST strictly follows the zero-tolerance principle on any sexual harassment and misconduct.
- Development of Reasonable Accommodation on the basis of Disability: we provide equal access to employment and educational opportunities for people with disabilities.
- Consensual Relationship: At IST, we strongly prohibit employees who attempt to establish power relationships over students.
- Electronic and Information Technology Accessibility: we procure, develop, and maintain the technology that conforms to federal accessibility standards.
- Confidentiality: IST takes any allegation of discrimination, sexual harassment and misconduct, and retaliation seriously. We are committed to protecting the rights and privacy of all individuals who perceive their rights related to DEI are violated.
IST is eager to listen to suggestions, concerns, and opinions related to DEI from inside and outside of IST. Please check Contact on our website.